From the launch in August 2018 up until today, almost 5 million veggie hot dogs were handed over IKEA Bistro counters – a great success for this more sustainable snack. Many customers reached out to IKEA sharing their positive feedback as well as asking to be able to buy the plant-based sausage to bring home. The launch of KORVMOJ is answering this request and enables IKEA customers to easily create their own veggie hot dog snack at home.
A package of KORVMOJ contains 10 pieces of same plant-based sausage customers already know from the IKEA Bistro offer. And just as the Bistro version these veggie hot dogs are made amongst others with kale, red lentils, carrots and ginger. The carbon footprint of the IKEA veggie hot dog is approximately seven times smaller compared to the classic hot dog.
“When starting the development of the veggie hot dog, we asked ourselves: Has a plant-based hot dog the potential of becoming as loved by the many as the traditional hot dog? For me the success of the veggie hot dog in the Bistro and now the launch of KORVMOJ confirms our hopes and really lifts this plant-based alternative to the same level as our iconic hot dog.” says Michael La Cour, managing director IKEA Food Services AB.
IKEA wants to inspire people to a healthier and more sustainable lifestyle through food that has a positive impact on both people and the planet. The veggie hot dog is a contribution to this ambition – healthier, plant-based, delicious and affordable for the many.
KORVMOJ will be launched in Swedish Food Markets, the Swedish food specialities section in IKEA stores, in Europe starting from March/April 2019*. IKEA stores in North America and the Asia Pacific region will follow in a next step. True to the IKEA ambitions to always offer great value for money and to make more sustainable products affordable for the many the recommended sales price for on package of KORVMOJ is € 2,99**.
*Product sales start can vary between markets. Customers can contact their local IKEA store for more information or check availability of KORVMOJ on IKEA.com.
**Recommended sales price (RSP). Prices may vary between markets.
About IKEA Food Services AB
IKEA Food Services AB, based in Malmö, Sweden, develops the global range for the IKEA Restaurants, Bistros and Swedish Food Markets in over 420 IKEA stores in 52 markets. With food at the heart of people’s everyday life, IKEA Food wants to offer a modern taste of Sweden – honest food for people and the planet.
IKEA offers well-designed, functional and affordable, high-quality home furnishing, produced with care for people and the environment. There are several companies with different owners, working under the IKEA Brand, all sharing the same vision: to create a better everyday life for the many people. IKEA was founded in Sweden in 1943.
IKEA FOOD RECIPE
Butternut squash with BÄSTISAR mix of grains with mushroom KORVMOJ vegetable hot dogs, horseradish and mustard
- Approx. 1000g peeled and diced butternut squash
- 1000ml vegetable bouillon
- 250g BÄSTISAR mix of grains with mushroom
- 8 pcs KORVMOJ vegetable hot dogs
- 1 yellow onion
- 200ml finely chopped kale or cabbage
- 4 tbsp. SENAP GROV whole-grain mustard
- 6 cm fresh horseradish
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Salt and pepper
STEP BY STEP:
1. Put the oven on 200°C, peel the onion and cut in four wedges, put it on a sheet pan and roast in the oven until soft and starting to blacken.
2. Boil the squash in the bouillon until soft all the way through.
3. Mix the squash with a hand mixer and season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Prepare the grains according to instructions on the package.
5. Prepare the vegetable hot dogs according to instructions on the package. Cut them in pieces, 2-3 cm.
6. Put a frying pan on medium/high heat and fry the vegetable hot dog pieces quickly in a little oil together with the finely chopped kale.
7. Put the squash in a deep plate and add the grains in the middle. Put the vegetable hot dog pieces and kale in a pile on the grains.
8. Put the onion wedges of the baked onion on top and grate the horseradish over as a final touch.
SMAKLIG MÅLTID! (Enjoy your meal!)