Whether we innovate new dishes or offer a taste of our Swedish food heritage, our ingredients are sourced and selected with careful consideration. On our journey towards a broader range of tasty, healthy eats, our food principles guide everything we do.
The 7 IKEA Food Principles
- Lagom – Not too much, not too little, but just right
- Sustainable – Good for both people and the planet
- Plant based – More plants for the many people
- Animal welfare – Fewer animals, and from better sources
- Natural – Simple and wholesome
- Food is precious – Food is simply too precious to be wasted
- Food is pleasure – Together we eat better
1. Lagom – Not too much, not too little, but just right
Inspire people to eat well with a balance of all nutrients and responsible portion sizes. It’s fine to indulge once in a while.
2. Sustainable – Good for both people and the planet
Sourced from farms and fisheries that strive to protect the environment, public health, people and communities.
3. Plant based – More plants for the many people
Less meat and more plant-based foods such as fruit, vegetables, wholegrains, legumes, nuts and seeds. Celebrating the use of seasonal and diverse ingredients.
Did you know?
Our new plant ball has the look, taste and juicy bite of its meaty counterpart, but only 4% of the climate footprint.
4. Animal welfare – Fewer animals, and from better sources
Animals should live decent lives, where their physical health, mental health, and the expression of natural behaviour is prioritised.
5. Natural – Simple and wholesome
Use good quality whole, natural ingredients and reduce additives as far as possible, while still ensuring food is safe.
6. Food is precious – Food is simply too precious to be wasted
Food loss and waste should be kept to a minimum from farm to fork.
7. Food is pleasure – Together we eat better
Food should be enjoyed through all senses, celebrating togetherness and cultural differences. Flavour is key for enabling better choices.